* Tue Jul 05 2016 email@example.com
- Kismet 2016-07-R1:
* nl8011 support is fixed so finding the vif device works again
* full 5GHz channel discovery works now
* memory leaks in the drone are fixed
* some ncurses compile bugs are resolved
* Wed Apr 13 2016 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kismet 2016-01-R1:
* force validation of fcs by default for all sources
* support for recent autotools
* fixes for crashes when alert backlog was set to zero
* fixes for failures in some VIF situations
* fixes to resizing windows
* fixes to GPS averaging
* fixes to Radiotap changes in recent kernels
* add WPS state parsing
* handle BSSTimestamp parsing
- upstream sources no longer signed, use source URLs
* Wed Sep 17 2014 email@example.com
- Require xz
* Tue May 27 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org
- version 2013-03-R1b
* While this does not have major new features
(phy-neutral is still in development)
it includes a long list of bugfixes,
including better ncurses color support, radiotap fixes,
better interface control when setting channels, memory leak fixes,
better packaging for distros, and various other quirks.
- Switch build to libnl3.
* Fri May 31 2013 email@example.com
- do not hardcode automake 1.12
* Sat Feb 23 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Verify GPG signature only for 12.3 and up, fixing 12.2 build
- verify in prep section, and only if macro is available
* Wed Nov 28 2012 email@example.com
- Verify GPG signature.
* Thu Jul 19 2012 firstname.lastname@example.org
- fix ppc64 build
* Wed Sep 28 2011 email@example.com
- Kismet-2011-03-R2 released, includes:
New release to address a crash bug in Kismet when operating as a drone
(either kismet_server or kismet_drone).
fixes problems with changes in ncurses 5.8 (for the few
distributions which picked it up already) and is REQUIRED for Kismet
to work with ncurses-5.8. Also introduced is marginally more accurate
GPS averaging (still all the problems of weighting and averaging,
but eliminates the float drift), some compile time updates, other
Under the covers 2011-03 also contains the start of the new phy-neutral
common tracker layer, which will be replacing the current model of an
802.11-centric tracking layer. Anyone working on capture plugins for
non-dot11 protocols should start taking a look at the new tracking
layer. The dot11 tracking is being ported to the new layer and
eventually they old tracking code will be disabled.
Lots of bugfixes (netxml reference, 802.11d, mac80211 on legacy cards,
client preferences, client display options)
Ruby network API and example clients
Wifi NIC performance shoot-out tool
WPA Migration Mode detection
GPS logging in PPI pcap files
Per-capture source per-network and per-client signal tracking
- 2010-07-R1 changes:
Ruby interface and examples
Proper TCP Async (for large numbers of drones and other situations)
Add hidedata= option for "safer" sniffing in public environments
Kluged escape handler for broken ncurses arrow handling on some systems
Add --no-root option for zero-priv drone-only deploys
Fix installation on Ubuntu dash
IPC updates and fixes for drone
IPC architectural fixes
* Tue Sep 27 2011 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cleanup spec file and fix build for < openSUSE 12.1
* Fri Sep 16 2011 email@example.com
- Select libnl-1_1-devel
* Thu Apr 15 2010 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kismet-2010-01-R1 released, includes
- fixes to segfaults
- compiling problems on Snow Leopard
- GPS, and sundry other quirks
- and enhancements to the UI
- support for the new GPSD JSON-only protocol
- and a BT scanning plugin for BT device discovery.
- Kismet-2009-11-R1 released, Release includes:
- fixes to crashes on resizing terminals
- tweaks to plugins
- addition of the autowep plugin
- improved plugin handling
- plugin support on OSX
- initial support for Snow Leopard
- fixes to PPI corruption
- XML fixes
- and quite a lot of other bugfixes.
* Wed Aug 26 2009 email@example.com
- buildrequire pcre-devel and libnl-devel added to enable
* Wed Aug 05 2009 firstname.lastname@example.org
- updated to 2009-06-R1
* Restore battery/power reporting functionality
* Default to VAP creation on mac80211 sources
* Revamp IP range guessing
* Added mouse support for network and client lists
* Properly handle PHY packets
* Fix filter string parsing for double-negate
* Add low-level mac80211 control options for FCS and PLCP failure filtering
* Added arbitrary tagging strings to clients
* Add preserved tagging (~/.kismet file)
* Restored linux-cap dropping on capture
* Handle sources being disconnected under some libpcap versions
* Restored daemonize
* Revamped network details text
* Restored decloaked SSID caching
* Add plugin API for adding menus
* Improved Nokia ITT support
* Restore missing alerts
* Added "user notes" to networks and clients
* Various and sundry UI usability changes
* Multiple crashes, internal inconsistencies, and rare but unpleasant bugs fixed
* Tue Jun 09 2009 email@example.com
- fix build with glibc 2.10
* Mon Jan 05 2009 firstname.lastname@example.org
- added libexpat-devel to BuildRequires (needed to build gpsmap)
* Mon Jan 05 2009 email@example.com
- added libexpat-devel to BuildRequires (needed to build gpsmap)
* Mon Sep 01 2008 firstname.lastname@example.org
- add ncurses include path to cflags
* Wed Jul 09 2008 email@example.com
- updated to 2008-05-R1
* wrt54 fixes
* Multiple Darwin fixes
* GPS rewrite and fixes
* Nokia tweaks
* Imagemagick fixes
* More wrt54 prism0 hacks
* Tweaked the wrt54 stuff more (where does prism0 come from?)
* Tweaked wrt54 source
* Added configure patch for OSX and debian control files from
* Fixed imagemagick detect on modern IM installs
* Added gpsmap patches from Kripton to support open street maps
* Added DLT80211 and DLT80211_AVS to the linktype setting code
on Darwin, BSD
* Added 'kismet' wrapper binary, conf files to clean/distclean
* Fixed assorted messages being printed in quiet mode
* Added additional warnings/info for madwifi-ng about autocreate=none
when other vaps are found.
* Removed wlancond/power setting on Maemo/Nokia since it doesn't seem
to reliably help
* Merged patches from Alexandre Balavas to clean up warnings on CentOS
* Re-ordered headers in panelfront_display to prevent weird compiler issue
* Fixed gpsd speed issue on water mode, thanks again to Antonio
* Fixed segv on gps=false introduced in recent gps rewrite
(thanks Antonio Eugenio Burriel for patch)
* Added rt61 and rt8187 source names
* Fixed segv on OSX in client on closedir
* Revamped GPS to use 'watch' mode in GPSD
* Revamped GPS again to work with watch better and to dynamically use poll
mode on older GPSD implementations
* Revamped GPS a third time in the same day to take the seemingly broken Maemo
GPSD into account and use R=1 debug mode on Maemo devices
* Added Hildon GPS support
* Fixed huge bug in IE tag parsing that ignored large beacon frames,
thanks to Duane Compton
* Disabled probenojoin by default in config, it's sort of a useless alert
which makes a lot of noise.
* More capture source control changes to try to solve problems capturing reliably
on Nokia 8x0 devices
* Nokia-specific changes
* Added kernel version detection for Darwin to accept enX on >= Leopard,
VERY NEW LIBPCAP required.
* Fixed admtek fatal error on ssid zero (errors now ignored)
* Fixed a problem where the first connection to the server would be ignored.
* Merged a patchset from Pavol Rusnak and SUSE including some ncurses cleanups,
format string quirks with size_t, and header massaging
* Fixed 'make install' and 'make suidinstall' not dep'ing 'kismet' binary
* Added --disable-dbus to configure for environments which don't detect properly
- fixed return of random data from nonvoid function (nonvoid.diff)
- removed obsoleted patches:
* bool.diff (included in update)
* includes.diff (included in update)
* intptr.diff (included in update)
* wtap.diff (included in update)
* Thu Feb 21 2008 firstname.lastname@example.org
- correct buildrequires after wireshark-devel changes
- only link with the needed libraries
* Sun May 03 2020 Martin Hauke <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2020-04-R3
* fix a possible crash in Kismet and associated tools when
compiled with GCC; there are no other changes.
* Thu Apr 23 2020 Martin Hauke <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Update to version 2020-04-R2
* Bugfix release
* Tue Apr 21 2020 Martin Hauke <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2020-04-R1
* New web-based UI with searching, device notes, realtime
graphs, and more.
* A REST-like API
* Expanded support for non-WiFi capture types
* New remote capture
* Massive data set support
* New KismetDB logs
* Multithreaded optimizations
* Kismet will now take advantage of multi-core systems, both on
large servers, and on small systems like the Raspberry Pi;
* Live packet export
* Packets can now be streamed live via the export endpoints, as
a pcapng stream of all packets or with live filtering by data
source, device, and more.
* Scriptable alerts
* Alerts can be defined (and triggered) via REST endpoints
* Sun Mar 29 2020 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Install plugin alertsyslog.
* Mon Mar 09 2020 Martin Hauke <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2020-03-R1
* RTL433 changing command line arguments
* Extreme memory use compiling bluetooth_ids code
* Fixes to kismetexternal python code used by rtladsb and rtlamr
* Fixes to handling ?weird? rtl433 serial numbers, like 000000001
* Fixes for ubertooth remote cap
* Updates to the kw41z capture code
* Support for multiple phys on a single interface
* Fix for buffer size calculation which could impact gps handling
* Smarter error handling with channel tuning failures
* Support for CORS cross-side negotiation for running Kismet
behind a proxy
- Introduce new subpackages
+ TICC2531 802.15.4 Zigbee Sniffer capture helper
+ NXP KW41Z BTLE and Zigbee Sniffer capture helper
* Sun Jan 05 2020 Martin Hauke <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Update to version 2019-12-R2
A bugfix release for Kismet 2019-12, R2 solves a number of quirks
which were quite annoying:
* Solve a race condition in Linux with interface naming. Due to
how the nl80211 layer handles interface naming, combined with
how systemd can name interfaces on some systems, it was
possible to have a race condition when Kismet defaulted to
kismonX interface names, resulting in either errors or Kismet
ignoring one of the interfaces.
* Solve a free on an unused pointer in nl80211 vif creation. The
new vif creation code doesn?t use the nl80211 flags
sub-message when there are no flags to add, but tried to free
it. This could cause a crash the first time trying to open a
source, but the second time would succeed.
* Fix TICC2540 USB devices. Some systems were very unhappy with
the order in which the USB device was initialized; now it
should be fine.
* Work around the very broken RTL8812BU driver. While we don?t
recommend this driver or these cards, due to a HUGE number of
issues, Kismet will now do its best to open one and get it
into monitor mode.
* Much smoother operation with very very large numbers of
sources. A side effect of the vif naming fix, interfaces are
now initialized and opened one at a time. While this may take
much longer to open huge numbers (dozens or more) of
interfaces, it is much more reliable and much less likely to
cause Kismet or kernel problems during the initial bring-up
and firmware load of interfaces.
* Minor output text fixes. Capture interface and base
interface were swapped in some messages to the user.
* Wed Dec 25 2019 Martin Hauke <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2019-12-R1
Bugfixes and performance boosts
* Remove OpenMP/parallel processing; this resolves a massive
CPU burn on even moderate numbers of devices.
* Fix logging bug causing export of all devices every logging
cycle, instead of only modified and new devices.
* Revamped python-kismet-external using asyncio to prevent a
large CPU wasting IO loop.
* Bugfixes to the Linux netlink monitor controls to prefer
nl80211, find existing monitor interfaces correctly, and to
work on devices that don?t support IOxIWCTL iocontrols at all
* Switch to std::unordered_map hash maps for O(1) lookups
* BTLE packet capture and basic device display, using the
aUbertooth One, CC2540, or nRF51822;
* New SDR demodulators for ADSB (airplane) and AMR (power and
water meter) with no external dependencies beyond librtlsdr
* New ADSB mapping UI
* BTLE support in the UI
* New formatting options for ekjson to simplify export to other
* Device present/missing alerts
* ADSB geolocation
* Detection of CVE-2019-17666 RTLWIFI vulnerabilities
* Sun Dec 01 2019 Martin Hauke <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Completely rewritten spec-file
- Intruduce subpackages for the capture helpers
- Add kismet-rpmlintrc
- Package systemd service file
- Remove obsolete patch:
- Update to version 2019-09-R1
This is the new, MAJOR rewrite of Kismet! This version changes
almost everything, hopefully for the better, including:
* Web-based UI allowing for much simpler presentation of data
and compatibility with mobile devices
* Standard JSON-based data export for easy scripting against
* Support for wireless protocols beyond Wi-Fi, like basic
Bluetooth scanning, thermometer, and weather station detection
with the RTL-SDR hardware, and more on the way
* New remote-capture code optimized for binary size and RAM,
allowing extremely low-end embedded devices to be used for
* New logging format which can encapsulate complex information
about devices, system state, alerts, messages, and packets in a
single file with simple tools for extracting standard formats
* Pcap-NG multi-interface logs with complete original headers,
readable by Wireshark and other tools
* Sat Aug 21 2021 Martin Hauke <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2021-08-R1
Changes and Updates
* UTF8/Unicode support in the UI
* New WIDS alerts
* Kismet now detects the VDOO RTL8170C exploits, and "funny"
SSIDs that attack Apple products.
* Small tweaks and improvements
* Wigle CSV files now encode the Kismet version in the upload.
* Client names are used in AP lists.
* Initial support for environmental sensors connected to Kismet.
* ticc2540/2531 udev rules.
* Minor revamping of websocket timeouts.
* Regex filtering added to the wiglecsv converter.
* Quick copy-to-clipboard buttons for some common fields in
* Handle URI parameters more correctly
* Don?t spin on "Loading..." in the datasource window sometimes.
- Update to version 2021-06-R1
* Another huge change to the threading model.
* Fix kismetdb_to_pcap on older kismetdb logs.
* Detect version properly in kismetdb_to_pcap and query the tags
field properly on older logs.
* Handle db versions properly in kismetdb_to_wiglecsv.
* Detect version properly in kismetdb_to_wiglecsv and query
* Handle nested WHERE in sqlite bridge.
* Handle nested WHERE queries properly and detect malformed
queries in the sqlite3 bridge.
* Fix kismetdb_to_wiglecsv Bluetooth.
* Handle the nested WHERE for Bluetooth devices in wiglecsv
* Other minor bugfixes to errors, terminology, etc.
- Update to version 2021-05-R1
Changes and Updates
* New mutex and threading.
* Multi-core packet decoding.
* New 802.15.4 phy.
* 802.15.4 is now decoded and displayed in the UI! While many
devices report the default PAN of 0x00, it?s still a huge
* New data capture drivers for the Nuand BladeRF2 with Wiphy
firmware, the nrf52840 802.15.4 hardware, and killerbee
* New alert UI.
* Alerts now have their own top-level panel and are searchable,
sortable, and have priorities assigned to them.
* Fix Wi-Fi on Linux 5.10 and newer.
* The Linux kernel changed how netlink messages are fragmented,
which broke how channels were indexed. Most likely this would
show up when you had a number of Wi-Fi interfaces plugged in
at once. This is fixed now.
* PcapNG GPS logging.
* New custom blocks and attributes in PcapNG logs for
* Shift to officially requiring C++14 .
* Support older libwebsockets.
* Support ADSB HEX export per-source.
* Fix datasources in error state getting into weird loops.
* Datasoruces flapping in some error states (such as devices
being unplugged) could get into weird states where the UUID
would flap; this confused the logs, the datasources UI, and
other spots. Properly retain the UUID.
* Fix datasources getting into a no-channels state.
* Some combinations of errors could lead to datasources getting
into a state with no channels, and never being able to get out
* Fix Wi-Fi pulling WEXT legacy channels.
* Default to WEXT IOCTL legacy channels when netlink fails or
returns no channels, resolve wext channel frequencies to
* Fix several thread contention errors on data.
* Several objects were shared for serialization and not properly
protected, leading to subtle corruption or outright crashes at
times. Those are now removed from the combined APIs or properly
* Better error handling for TI-CC-2531 and TI-CC-2540 .
* Handle soft-resets of the TI-CC-2531 and 2540 802.15.4 and
BTLE chipsets gracefully, so there are fewer errors and resets
of the hardware.
* Add Bluetooth and BTLE to Wigle exports.
* Adding a /&censor=1 to the Kismet web UI will censor all
location and mac addresses (to the best of its ability),
making it easy to take screenshots.
* The new webserver broke CORS negotiation. Fixed.
* Smarter handling of HT/VHT IE tags.
* Fix error timer initialization in datasources.
* Don?t accidentally kill other timers anymore.
* Add new WIDS signatures.
* Detect CVE-2020-9395.
* Fix up HTTP header connection states.
* Add fetch device, monitor device, mac search APIs.
* Fix eventbus websocket errors.
* Expand buffer sizes for remote and IPC capture, this improves
stability significantly on some platforms.
* Many more smaller bugfixes throughout.
* General improvements and changes to the REST API.
* Sun Feb 28 2021 Bernhard Wiedemann <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Update kismet-fix-build.patch to drop build date again (boo#1047218)
* Mon Dec 07 2020 Martin Hauke <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2020-12-R3
* A bugfix release which solves a possible infinite loop until
crash due to how GCC handles C++ templates differently than
* Sat Dec 05 2020 Martin Hauke <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Update to version 2020-12-R2
* Fix improper assignment of system endpoints to the logon
role instead of read-only
* Fix broken implementation of legacy TCP remote capture on
* Fri Dec 04 2020 Martin Hauke <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2020-12-R1
* All new ASIO networking model
+ Kismet now uses the C++ ASIO networking library.
* All new web server implementation (drop libmicrohttpdd)
* New role based REST API
* Remote capture over websockets
* Huge RAM savings
* Stability improvements
* Higher performance web UI
* New websocket APIs
* Better location averaging
* Improved channel and signal mapping
* Improved 802.11 WDS handling
* General improvements and changes to the REST API
See https://www.kismetwireless.net/release/kismet-2020-12-R1/ for
the full changelog.
* Sat Sep 26 2020 Martin Hauke <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Update to version 2020-09-R4
* Fix a false ?login required? error on the datasources panel.
* Sun Sep 20 2020 Martin Hauke <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2020-09-R3
* Properly show messages from datasources
* Properly show error and status messages from opening
datasources, which previously were ignored. This should make
seeing errors opening datasources much easier.
* Fix bluetooth capture on some platforms
* Some platforms / kernels / setups appear to not enable rfkill.
The bluetooth hci capture source erroneously failed when no
rfkill information was available.
* Remove 221 IE tag subtype match requirement
* Remove requiring a subtype of 0 on an IE221 tag for matching
the manufacturer of otherwise unknown devices.
* Fix potential crash in datasource panel
* Fix a long-standing potential crash when the datasource panel
is open in the UI caused by a race condition with the
constructor and callbacks.
* Fix race condition in launching datasources
* Fix a long-standing race condition which could lead to some
datasources not being opened properly or their types
autodetected properly due to a race condition with the type
* Increase precision of some doubles in JSON for GPS
* Found some legacy serialization code which reduced the
precision of some doubles (double-vector) which would cause
GPS to display with less precision.
* Don?t shut down messagebus processing thread until Kismet is
* The messagebus service thread could shut down before Kismet
had finished spinning down, causing it to not show some of
the errors causing the shutdown.
* Fix moodycamel fast queue for gcc 9.2.0
* Merge fix from cameron314/moodycamel to the fast concurrent
queue library for compiling on gcc 9.2.0
* Add new device locking API
* Add new device locking API for internal range locking of
devices to better protect records during updates between
* Sun Sep 13 2020 Martin Hauke <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Add patch:
* kismet-fix-build.patch (revert 3c8f8d83)
- Update to version 2020-09-R2
* Save more RAM!
* Fix a very silly error in kismetdb_dump_devices
* The kismetdb_dump_devices tool was broken and printed out
the JSON twice, generating an invalid JSON file.
* Tweak how IE221 manufacturers are derived
* Look for some specific AP manufacturers in the IE221 tags, and
then fall back to using generic 221 manufacturers.
* Fix packet RRD in main device table
* Fix the packet RRD in the main device table not scrolling
* Generally clean up compiling and squash a number of warnings
* Fix a bug classifying some devices as APs
* Some devices doing an inter-ds communication (like a chromecas
and a phone) got flagged as APs when they?re not really.
- Update to version 2020-09-R1
* Kismet server auto-discovery
* New SSID details window to go along with the SSID views
* New ?MAC censorship? demo option in the web UI
* Split advertised and responded APs
* Significant memory optimizations
* New optimized internal field building
* Optimized ?multikey-as-dictionary? API
* Verbose output on remote capture tools
* Expanded ICAO databases for ADSB
* Compressed server-side ICAO databases
* More memory control options
* New greatly simplified JSON generation and parsing
* Support for non-packet scan reports
* New event bus extension to the Kismet helper protocol
* New kismetdb_to_pcap tool
* Configuration flavors/override system
* Packet rate graphs
* More manufacturer indexing
* Optimized internal map structure
* Lots and lots of bug fixes and minor updates