* Thu Jan 31 2019 John Vandenberg <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- update to version 2.5.0
* New checks:
+ E117: Over-indented code blocks
+ W505: Maximum doc-string length only when configured with --max-doc-length
+ Remove support for EOL Python 2.6 and 3.3. PR #720.
+ Add E117 error for over-indented code blocks.
+ Allow W605 to be silenced by `# noqa` and fix the position reported by W605
+ Allow users to omit blank lines around one-liner definitions of classes and
+ Include the function return annotation (``->``) as requiring surrounding
whitespace only on Python 3
+ Verify that only names can follow ``await``. Previously we allowed numbers
+ Add support for Python 3.7
+ Fix detection of annotated argument defaults for E252
+ Correct the position reported by W504
- Removed comp_w_changes_tokenize.patch as it was merged into version 2.5.0
* Tue Oct 02 2018 Mat?j Cepl <email@example.com>
- Add comp_w_changes_tokenize.patch to make tests more stable
* Wed Aug 08 2018 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Really run tests
- Drop devel dependency
- Fix provides/obsoletes for pep8
* Wed Apr 11 2018 email@example.com
* update copyright year
* add README and LICENSE
- update to version 2.4.0:
* New checks:
+ Add W504 warning for checking that a break doesn?t happen after
a binary operator. This check is ignored by default. PR #502.
+ Add W605 warning for invalid escape sequences in string
literals. PR #676.
+ Add W606 warning for ?async? and ?await? reserved keywords being
introduced in Python 3.7. PR #684.
+ Add E252 error for missing whitespace around equal sign in type
annotated function arguments with defaults values. PR #717.
+ An internal bisect search has replaced a linear search in order
to improve efficiency. PR #648.
+ pycodestyle now uses PyPI trove classifiers in order to document
supported python versions on PyPI. PR #654.
+ ?setup.cfg? ?[wheel]? section has been renamed to
?[bdist_wheel]?, as the former is legacy. PR #653.
+ pycodestyle now handles very long lines much more efficiently
for python 3.2+. Fixes #643. PR #644.
+ You can now write ?pycodestyle.StyleGuide(verbose=True)? instead
of ?pycodestyle.StyleGuide(verbose=True, paths=[?-v?])? in order
to achieve verbosity. PR #663.
+ The distribution of pycodestyle now includes the license text in
order to comply with open source licenses which require this. PR
+ ?maximum_line_length? now ignores shebang (?#!?) lines. PR #736.
+ Add configuration option for the allowed number of blank
lines. It is implemented as a top level dictionary which can be
easily overwritten. Fixes #732. PR #733.
+ Prevent a ?DeprecationWarning?, and a ?SyntaxError? in future
python, caused by an invalid escape sequence. PR #625.
+ Correctly report E501 when the first line of a docstring is too
long. Resolves #622. PR #630.
+ Support variable annotation when variable start by a keyword,
such as class variable type annotations in python 3.6. PR #640.
+ pycodestyle internals have been changed in order to allow
?python3 -m cProfile? to report correct metrics. PR #647.
+ Fix a spelling mistake in the description of E722. PR #697.
+ ?pycodestyle ?diff? now does not break if your ?gitconfig?
enables ?mnemonicprefix?. PR #706.
* Sat May 06 2017 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Don't provide python2-pep8, singlespec packages should use
* Fri Mar 24 2017 email@example.com
- update for singlespec
- rename from pep8 to pycodestyle
- delete shebang from pycodestyle.py
- update to version 2.3.1
* renamed from pep8 to pycodestyle
* removed use of project-level .pep8 config file
* updated code style, added new warnings
* Mon Aug 15 2016 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fix update-alternatives implementation.
* Wed Jan 13 2016 email@example.com
- Implement update-alternatives
* Wed Jan 13 2016 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to 1.7.0
* Repository moved to PyCQA Organization on GitHub:
* Reverted the fix in #368, "options passed on command line are only ones
accepted" feature. This has many unintended consequences in pep8 and flake8
and needs to be reworked when I have more time.
* Added support for Python 3.5. (Issue #420 & #459)
* Added support for multi-line config_file option parsing. (Issue #429)
* Improved parameter parsing. (Issues #420 & #456)
* Fixed BytesWarning on Python 3. (Issue #459)
* Tue Feb 17 2015 email@example.com
- Update to 1.6.2:
* Added check for breaking around a binary operator. (Issue #197, Pull #305)
* Assign variables before referenced. (Issue #287)
* Report E731 for lambda assignment. (Issue #277)
* Report E704 for one-liner def instead of E701. Do not report this error in the default configuration. (Issue #277)
* Replace codes E111, E112 and E113 with codes E114, E115 and E116 for bad indentation of comments. (Issue #274)
* Report E266 instead of E265 when the block comment starts with multiple #. (Issue #270)
* Report E402 for import statements not at the top of the file. (Issue #264)
* Do not enforce whitespaces around ** operator. (Issue #292)
* Strip whitespace from around paths during normalization. (Issue #339 / #343)
* Update --format documentation. (Issue #198 / Pull Request #310)
* Add .tox/ to default excludes. (Issue #335)
* Do not report E121 or E126 in the default configuration. (Issues #256 / #316)
* Allow spaces around the equals sign in an annotated function. (Issue #357)
* Allow trailing backslash if in an inline comment. (Issue #374)
* If --config is used, only that configuration is processed. Otherwise, merge the user and local configurations are merged. (Issue #368 / #369)
* Tue Jan 20 2015 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Added "Requires: python-setuptools" to prevent
"ImportError: No module named pkg_resources" if executed.
* Fri Jun 27 2014 email@example.com
- update to 1.5.7:
* Skip the traceback on "Broken pipe" signal. (Issue #275)
* Do not exit when an option in ``setup.cfg`` or ``tox.ini``
is not recognized.
* Check the last line even if it does not end with a newline. (Issue #286)
* Always open files in universal newlines mode in Python 2. (Issue #288)
* Fri May 09 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 1.5.6:
* Check the last line even if it has no end-of-line.
- update to 1.5.5:
* Fix regression with E22 checks and inline comments.
* Mon Apr 14 2014 email@example.com
- update to 1.5.4:
* Fix negative offset with E303 before a multi-line docstring.
* Fix wrong offset computation when error is on the last char
of a physical line. (Issue #268)
* Distribute a universal wheel file.
* Report correct line number for E303 with comments. (Issue #60)
* Do not allow newline after parameter equal. (Issue #252)
* Fix line number reported for multi-line strings. (Issue #220)
* Fix false positive E121/E126 with multi-line strings. (Issue #265)
* Fix E501 not detected in comments with Python 2.5.
* Fix caret position with ``--show-source`` when line contains tabs.
* Fix a crash with E125 on multi-line strings. (Issue #263)
* Report E129 instead of E125 for visually indented line with same
indent as next logical line. (Issue #126)
* Report E265 for space before block comment. (Issue #190)
* Allow long lines in multiline strings and comments if they cannot
be wrapped. (Issue #224).
* Optionally disable physical line checks inside multiline strings,
using ``# noqa``. (Issue #242)
* Change text for E121 to report "continuation line under-indented
for hanging indent" instead of indentation not being a
multiple of 4.
* Report E131 instead of E121 / E126 if the hanging indent is not
consistent within the same continuation block. It helps when
error E121 or E126 is in the ``ignore`` list.
* Report E126 instead of E121 when the continuation line is hanging
with extra indentation, even if indentation is not a multiple of 4.
* Allow the checkers to report errors on empty files. (Issue #240)
* Fix ignoring too many checks when ``--select`` is used with codes
declared in a flake8 extension. (Issue #216)
* Fix regression with multiple brackets. (Issue #214)
* Fix ``StyleGuide`` to parse the local configuration if the
keyword argument ``paths`` is specified. (Issue #246)
* Fix a false positive E124 for hanging indent. (Issue #254)
* Fix a false positive E126 with embedded colon. (Issue #144)
* Fix a false positive E126 when indenting with tabs. (Issue #204)
* Fix behaviour when ``exclude`` is in the configuration file and
the current directory is not the project directory. (Issue #247)
* The logical checks can return ``None`` instead of an empty iterator.
* Do not report multiple E101 if only the first indentation starts
with a tab. (Issue #237)
* Fix a rare false positive W602. (Issue #34)
- remove no-tox-test.diff
* Thu Oct 24 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Require python-setuptools instead of distribute (upstreams merged)
* Fri Oct 18 2013 email@example.com
- add 0001-reverted-fix-for-issue-204-added-check-for-214.patch:
* Add fix for regression in 1.4.6
* Tue Oct 15 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upodate to version 1.4.6
* Honor ``# noqa`` for errors E711 and E712. (Issue #180)
* When both a ``tox.ini`` and a ``setup.cfg`` are present in the project
directory, merge their contents. The ``tox.ini`` file takes
precedence (same as before). (Issue #182)
* Give priority to ``--select`` over ``--ignore``. (Issue #188)
* Compare full path when excluding a file. (Issue #186)
* Correctly report other E12 errors when E123 is ignored. (Issue #103)
* New option ``--hang-closing`` to switch to the alternative style of
closing bracket indentation for hanging indent. Add error E133 for
closing bracket which is missing indentation. (Issue #103)
* Accept both styles of closing bracket indentation for hanging indent.
Do not report error E123 in the default configuration. (Issue #103)
* Do not crash when running AST checks and the document contains null bytes.
* Fix false positive E261/E262 when the file contains a BOM. (Issue #193)
* Fix E701, E702 and E703 not detected sometimes. (Issue #196)
* Fix E122 not detected in some cases. (Issue #201 and #208)
* Fix false positive E121 with multiple brackets. (Issue #203)
* Tue May 28 2013 email@example.com
- Drop old tarball
- Document no-tox-test.diff
* Sat May 18 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org
- udpate to 1.4.5:
* When no path is specified, do not try to read from stdin.
* Do not require ``setuptools`` in setup.py. It works around an issue
with ``pip`` and Python 3. (Issue #172)
* Add ``__pycache__`` to the ignore list.
* Change misleading message for E251. (Issue #171)
* Do not report false E302 when the source file has a coding cookie or a
comment on the first line. (Issue #174)
* Reorganize the tests and add tests for the API and for the command line
usage and options. (Issues #161 and #162)
* Ignore all checks which are not explicitly selected when ``select`` is
passed to the ``StyleGuide`` constructor
* Sun Feb 24 2013 email@example.com
- Update to version 1.4.4:
* Report E227 or E228 instead of E225 for whitespace around bitwise,
shift or modulo operators. (Issue #166)
* Change the message for E226 to make clear that it is about arithmetic operators.
* Fix a false positive E128 for continuation line indentation with tabs.
* Fix regression with the --diff option. (Issue #169)
* Fix the TestReport class to print the unexpected warnings and errors.
* Fri Feb 22 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to version 1.4.3:
* Hide the --doctest and --testsuite options when installed.
* Fix crash with AST checkers when the syntax is invalid. (Issue #160)
* Read from standard input if no path is specified.
* Initiate a graceful shutdown on Control+C.
* Allow to change the checker_class for the StyleGuide.
* Mon Jan 28 2013 email@example.com
- Update to version 1.4.1:
* Report E703 instead of E702 for the trailing semicolon. (Issue #117)
* Report E226 instead of E225 for optional white space around common
operators (``*``, ``**``, ``/``, ``+`` and ``-``). This new error
code is ignored in the default configuration because PEP 8 recommends
to "use your own judgement". (Issue #96)
* Lines with a ``# nopep8`` at the end will not issue errors on line
length E501 or continuation line indentation E12*. (Issue #27)
* Fix AssertionError when the source file contains an invalid line
ending ``"\r\r\n"``. (Issue #119)
* Read the ``[pep8]`` section of ``tox.ini`` or ``setup.cfg`` if present.
* Add the Sphinx-based documentation, and publish it
* Fix false positive E124 and E128 with comments. (Issue #100)
* Fix error on stdin when running with bpython. (Issue #101)
* Fix false positive E401. (Issue #104)
* Report E231 for nested dictionary in list. (Issue #142)
* Catch E271 at the beginning of the line. (Issue #133)
* Fix false positive E126 for multi-line comments. (Issue #138)
* Fix false positive E221 when operator is preceded by a comma. (Issue #135)
* Fix ``--diff`` failing on one-line hunk. (Issue #137)
* Fix the ``--exclude`` switch for directory paths. (Issue #111)
* Use ``-`` filename to read from standard input. (Issue #128)
* Fix regression with continuation line checker. (Issue #98)
* Add E902 for IO errors. (Issue #87)
* Fix false positive for E121, and missed E124. (Issue #92)
* Allow ``verbose`` in the configuration file. (Issue #91)
* Show the enforced ``max-line-length`` in the error message. (Issue #86)
* Tue Jun 26 2012 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to version 1.3.1:
+ Explain which configuration options are expected. Accept and recommend
the options names with hyphen instead of underscore. (Issue #82)
+ Do not read the user configuration when used as a module (except if
config_file=True is passed to the StyleGuide constructor).
+ Fix wrong or missing cases for the E12 series.
+ Fix cases where E122 was missed. (Issue #81)
- Changes from version 1.3.0:
+ Remove global configuration and refactor the library around a StyleGuide
class; add the ability to configure various reporters. (Issue #35 and #66)
+ Read user configuration from ~/.config/pep8 and local configuration from
./.pep8. (Issue #22)
+ Fix E502 for backslash embedded in multi-line string. (Issue #68)
+ Fix E225 for Python 3 iterable unpacking (PEP 3132). (Issue #72)
+ Enable the new checkers from the E12 series in the default configuration.
+ Suggest less error-prone alternatives for E712 errors.
+ Rewrite checkers to run faster (E22, E251, E27).
+ Fixed a crash when parsed code is invalid (too many closing brackets).
+ Fix E127 and E128 for continuation line indentation. (Issue #74)
+ New option --format to customize the error format. (Issue #23)
+ New option --diff to check only modified code. The unified diff is read
from STDIN. Example: hg diff | pep8 --diff (Issue #39)
+ Correctly report the count of failures and set the exit code to 1 when
the --doctest or the --testsuite fails.
+ Correctly detect the encoding in Python 3. (Issue #69)
+ Drop support for Python 2.3, 2.4 and 3.0. (Issue #78)
- Don't package empty TODO.txt
* Wed Jun 06 2012 email@example.com
- Update to version 1.2:
* Add E121 through E128 for continuation line indentation. These
checks are disabled by default. If you want to force all checks,
use switch ``--select=E,W``. Patch by Sam Vilain. (Issue #64)
* Add E721 for direct type comparisons. (Issue #47)
* Add E711 and E712 for comparisons to singletons. (Issue #46)
* Fix spurious E225 and E701 for function annotations. (Issue #29)
* Add E502 for explicit line join between brackets.
* Fix E901 when printing source with ``--show-source``.
* Report all errors for each checker, instead of reporting only the
first occurence for each line.
* Option ``--show-pep8`` implies ``--first``.