Docformatter currently automatically formats docstrings to follow a
subset of the PEP 257 conventions. Below are the relevant items quoted
from PEP 257.
- For consistency, always use triple double quotes around docstrings.
- Triple quotes are used even though the string fits on one line.
- Multi-line docstrings consist of a summary line just like a one-line
docstring, followed by a blank line, followed by a more elaborate
- The BDFL recommends inserting a blank line between the last paragraph
in a multi-line docstring and its closing quotes, placing the closing
quotes on a line by themselves.
docformatter also handles some of the PEP 8 conventions.
- Don't write string literals that rely on significant trailing
whitespace. Such trailing whitespace is visually indistinguishable
and some editors (or more recently, reindent.py) will trim them.