* Thu Apr 02 2020 Martin Pluskal <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2.16.5:
* Security improvements and bugfixes
* Wed Nov 13 2019 Martin Pluskal <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Update to version 2.16.3:
* Security improvements and bugfixes
* Tue Sep 03 2019 Martin Pluskal <email@example.com>
- Update to version 2.16.2:
* Security improvements and bugfixes
- Use ninja to for build
* Mon Jan 07 2019 Martin Pluskal <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Update to version 2.16.0:
* Add a new config.h option of MBEDTLS_CHECK_PARAMS that enables validation of parameters in the API. This allows detection of obvious misuses of the API, such as passing NULL pointers. The API of existing functions hasn't changed, but requirements on parameters have been made more explicit in the documentation. See the corresponding API documentation for each function to see for which parameter values it is defined. This feature is disabled by default. See its API documentation in config.h for additional steps you have to take when enabling it.
* The following functions in the random generator modules have been deprecated and replaced as shown below. The new functions change the return type from void to int to allow returning error codes when using MBEDTLS_<MODULE>_ALT for the underlying AES or message digest primitive. Fixes #1798. mbedtls_ctr_drbg_update() -> mbedtls_ctr_drbg_update_ret() mbedtls_hmac_drbg_update() -> mbedtls_hmac_drbg_update_ret()
* Extend ECDH interface to enable alternative implementations.
* Deprecate error codes of the form MBEDTLS_ERR_xxx_INVALID_KEY_LENGTH for ARIA, CAMELLIA and Blowfish. These error codes will be replaced by the more generic per-module error codes MBEDTLS_ERR_xxx_BAD_INPUT_DATA.
* Additional parameter validation checks have been added for the following modules - AES, ARIA, Blowfish, CAMELLIA, CCM, GCM, DHM, ECP, ECDSA, ECDH, ECJPAKE, SHA, Chacha20 and Poly1305, cipher, pk, RSA, and MPI. Where modules have had parameter validation added, existing parameter checks may have changed. Some modules, such as Chacha20 had existing parameter validation whereas other modules had little. This has now been changed so that the same level of validation is present in all modules, and that it is now optional with the MBEDTLS_CHECK_PARAMS flag which by default is off. That means that checks which were previously present by default will no longer be.
* Deprecate mbedtls_ctr_drbg_update() and mbedtls_hmac_drbg_update() in favor of functions that can return an error code.
* Fix for Clang, which was reporting a warning for the bignum.c inline assembly for AMD64 targets creating string literals greater than those permitted by the ISO C99 standard. Found by Aaron Jones. Fixes #482.
* Fix runtime error in mbedtls_platform_entropy_poll() when run through qemu user emulation. Reported and fix suggested by randombit. Fixes #1212.
* Fix an unsafe bounds check when restoring an SSL session from a ticket. This could lead to a buffer overflow, but only in case ticket authentication was broken. Reported and fix suggested by Guido Vranken in #659.
* Add explicit integer to enumeration type casts to example program programs/pkey/gen_key which previously led to compilation failure on some toolchains. Reported by phoenixmcallister. Fixes #2170.
* Clarify documentation of mbedtls_ssl_set_own_cert() regarding the absence of check for certificate/key matching. Reported by Attila Molnar, #507.
* Fix double initialization of ECC hardware that made some accelerators hang.
* Tue Dec 11 2018 Pedro Monreal Gonzalez <email@example.com>
- Library package version bumped to libmbedtls12
* Tue Dec 11 2018 Pedro Monreal Gonzalez <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Update to version 2.14.1: [bsc#1118727, CVE-2018-19608]
* Fix timing variations and memory access variations in RSA PKCS#1 v1.5
decryption that could lead to a Bleichenbacher-style padding oracle
attack. In TLS, this affects servers that accept ciphersuites based on
RSA decryption (i.e. ciphersuites whose name contains RSA but not
(EC)DH(E)). Discovered by Eyal Ronen (Weizmann Institute), Robert Gillham
(University of Adelaide), Daniel Genkin (University of Michigan),
Adi Shamir (Weizmann Institute), David Wong (NCC Group), and Yuval Yarom
(University of Adelaide, Data61). The attack is described in more detail
in the paper available here: http://cat.eyalro.net/cat.pdf CVE-2018-19608
* In mbedtls_mpi_write_binary(), don't leak the exact size of the number
via branching and memory access patterns. An attacker who could submit
a plaintext for RSA PKCS#1 v1.5 decryption but only observe the timing
of the decryption and not its result could nonetheless decrypt RSA
plaintexts and forge RSA signatures. Other asymmetric algorithms may
have been similarly vulnerable. Reported by Eyal Ronen, Robert Gillham,
Daniel Genkin, Adi Shamir, David Wong and Yuval Yarom.
* Wipe sensitive buffers on the stack in the CTR_DRBG and HMAC_DRBG
* The new functions mbedtls_ctr_drbg_update_ret() and
mbedtls_hmac_drbg_update_ret() are similar to mbedtls_ctr_drbg_update()
and mbedtls_hmac_drbg_update() respectively, but the new functions
report errors whereas the old functions return void. We recommend that
applications use the new functions.
- Version 2.14.0:
* Fix overly strict DN comparison when looking for CRLs belonging to a
particular CA. This previously led to ignoring CRLs when the CRL's issuer
name and the CA's subject name differed in their string encoding (e.g.,
one using PrintableString and the other UTF8String) or in the choice of
upper and lower case. Reported by Henrik Andersson of Bosch GmbH in issue
* Fix a flawed bounds check in server PSK hint parsing. In case the
incoming message buffer was placed within the first 64KiB of address
space and a PSK-(EC)DHE ciphersuite was used, this allowed an attacker
to trigger a memory access up to 64KiB beyond the incoming message buffer,
potentially leading to an application crash or information disclosure.
* Fix mbedtls_mpi_is_prime() to use more rounds of probabilistic testing. The
previous settings for the number of rounds made it practical for an
adversary to construct non-primes that would be erroneously accepted as
primes with high probability. This does not have an impact on the
security of TLS, but can matter in other contexts with numbers chosen
potentially by an adversary that should be prime and can be validated.
For example, the number of rounds was enough to securely generate RSA key
pairs or Diffie-Hellman parameters, but was insufficient to validate
Diffie-Hellman parameters properly.
See "Prime and Prejudice" by by Martin R. Albrecht and Jake Massimo and
Kenneth G. Paterson and Juraj Somorovsky.
* Add support for temporarily suspending expensive ECC computations after
some configurable amount of operations. This is intended to be used in
constrained, single-threaded systems where ECC is time consuming and can
block other operations until they complete. This is disabled by default,
but can be enabled by MBEDTLS_ECP_RESTARTABLE at compile time and
configured by mbedtls_ecp_set_max_ops() at runtime. It applies to the new
xxx_restartable functions in ECP, ECDSA, PK and X.509 (CRL not supported
yet), and to existing functions in ECDH and SSL (currently only
implemented client-side, for ECDHE-ECDSA ciphersuites in TLS 1.2,
including client authentication).
* Add support for Arm CPU DSP extensions to accelerate asymmetric key
operations. On CPUs where the extensions are available, they can accelerate
MPI multiplications used in ECC and RSA cryptography. Contributed by
* Extend RSASSA-PSS signature to allow a smaller salt size. Previously, PSS
signature always used a salt with the same length as the hash, and returned
an error if this was not possible. Now the salt size may be up to two bytes
shorter. This allows the library to support all hash and signature sizes
that comply with FIPS 186-4, including SHA-512 with a 1024-bit key.
* Add support for 128-bit keys in CTR_DRBG. Note that using keys shorter
than 256 bits limits the security of generated material to 128 bits.
* Add a common error code of `MBEDTLS_ERR_PLATFORM_FEATURE_UNSUPPORTED` for
a feature that is not supported by underlying alternative
implementations implementing cryptographic primitives. This is useful for
hardware accelerators that don't implement all options or features.
* All module specific errors following the form
MBEDTLS_ERR_XXX_FEATURE_UNAVAILABLE that indicate a feature is not
supported are deprecated and are now replaced by the new equivalent
* All module specific generic hardware acceleration errors following the
form MBEDTLS_ERR_XXX_HW_ACCEL_FAILED that are deprecated and are replaced
by the equivalent plaform error.
* Deprecate the function mbedtls_mpi_is_prime() in favor of
mbedtls_mpi_is_prime_ext() which allows specifying the number of
* Fix wrong order of freeing in programs/ssl/ssl_server2 example
application leading to a memory leak in case both
MBEDTLS_MEMORY_BUFFER_ALLOC_C and MBEDTLS_MEMORY_BACKTRACE are set.
* Fix a bug in the update function for SSL ticket keys which previously
invalidated keys of a lifetime of less than a 1s. Fixes #1968.
* Fix failure in hmac_drbg in the benchmark sample application, when
MBEDTLS_THREADING_C is defined. Found by TrinityTonic, #1095
* Fix a bug in the record decryption routine ssl_decrypt_buf()
which lead to accepting properly authenticated but improperly
padded records in case of CBC ciphersuites using Encrypt-then-MAC.
* Fix memory leak and freeing without initialization in the example
program programs/x509/cert_write. Fixes #1422.
* Ignore IV in mbedtls_cipher_set_iv() when the cipher mode is
MBEDTLS_MODE_ECB. Found by ezdevelop. Fixes #1091.
* Zeroize memory used for buffering or reassembling handshake messages
* Use `mbedtls_platform_zeroize()` instead of `memset()` for zeroization
of sensitive data in the example programs aescrypt2 and crypt_and_hash.
* Change the default string format used for various X.509 DN attributes to
UTF8String. Previously, the use of the PrintableString format led to
wildcards and non-ASCII characters being unusable in some DN attributes.
Reported by raprepo in #1860 and by kevinpt in #468. Fix contributed by
* Fix compilation failure for configurations which use compile time
replacements of standard calloc/free functions through the macros
MBEDTLS_PLATFORM_CALLOC_MACRO and MBEDTLS_PLATFORM_FREE_MACRO.
Reported by ole-de and ddhome2006. Fixes #882, #1642 and #1706.
* Removed support for Yotta as a build tool.
* Add tests for session resumption in DTLS.
* Close a test gap in (D)TLS between the client side and the server side:
test the handling of large packets and small packets on the client side
in the same way as on the server side.
* Change the dtls_client and dtls_server samples to work by default over
IPv6 and optionally by a build option over IPv4.
* Change the use of Windows threading to use Microsoft Visual C++ runtime
calls, rather than Win32 API calls directly. This is necessary to avoid
conflict with C runtime usage. Found and fixed by irwir.
* Remember the string format of X.509 DN attributes when replicating
X.509 DNs. Previously, DN attributes were always written in their default
string format (mostly PrintableString), which could lead to CRTs being
created which used PrintableStrings in the issuer field even though the
signing CA used UTF8Strings in its subject field; while X.509 compliant,
such CRTs were rejected in some applications, e.g. some versions of
Firefox, curl and GnuTLS. Reported in #1033 by Moschn. Fix contributed by
* Improve documentation of mbedtls_ssl_get_verify_result().
Fixes #517 reported by github-monoculture.
* Add MBEDTLS_MPI_GEN_PRIME_FLAG_LOW_ERR flag to mbedtls_mpi_gen_prime() and
use it to reduce error probability in RSA key generation to levels mandated
- Version 2.13.1
* Extend the platform module with an abstraction mbedtls_platform_gmtime_r()
whose implementation should behave as a thread-safe version of gmtime().
This allows users to configure such an implementation at compile time when
the target system cannot be deduced automatically, by setting the option
MBEDTLS_PLATFORM_GMTIME_R_ALT. At this stage Mbed TLS is only able to
automatically select implementations for Windows and POSIX C libraries.
* Fix build failures on platforms where only gmtime() is available but
neither gmtime_r() nor gmtime_s() are present. Fixes #1907.
- Version 2.13.0
* Fix an issue in the X.509 module which could lead to a buffer overread
during certificate extensions parsing. In case of receiving malformed
input (extensions length field equal to 0), an illegal read of one byte
beyond the input buffer is made. Found and analyzed by Nathan Crandall.
* Add support for fragmentation of outgoing DTLS handshake messages. This
is controlled by the maximum fragment length as set locally or negotiated
with the peer, as well as by a new per-connection MTU option, set using
* Add support for auto-adjustment of MTU to a safe value during the
handshake when flights do not get through (RFC 6347, section 126.96.36.199,
* Add support for packing multiple records within a single datagram,
enabled by default.
* Add support for buffering out-of-order handshake messages in DTLS.
The maximum amount of RAM used for this can be controlled by the
compile-time constant MBEDTLS_SSL_DTLS_MAX_BUFFERING defined
* Add function mbedtls_ssl_set_datagram_packing() to configure
the use of datagram packing (enabled by default).
* Fix a potential memory leak in mbedtls_ssl_setup() function. An allocation
failure in the function could lead to other buffers being leaked.
* Fixes an issue with MBEDTLS_CHACHAPOLY_C which would not compile if
MBEDTLS_ARC4_C and MBEDTLS_CIPHER_NULL_CIPHER weren't also defined. #1890
* Fix a memory leak in ecp_mul_comb() if ecp_precompute_comb() fails.
Fix contributed by Espressif Systems.
* Add ecc extensions only if an ecc based ciphersuite is used.
This improves compliance to RFC 4492, and as a result, solves
interoperability issues with BouncyCastle. Raised by milenamil in #1157.
* Replace printf with mbedtls_printf in the ARIA module. Found by
TrinityTonic in #1908.
* Fix potential use-after-free in mbedtls_ssl_get_max_frag_len()
and mbedtls_ssl_get_record_expansion() after a session reset. Fixes #1941.
* Fix a bug that caused SSL/TLS clients to incorrectly abort the handshake
with TLS versions 1.1 and earlier when the server requested authentication
without providing a list of CAs. This was due to an overly strict bounds
check in parsing the CertificateRequest message,
introduced in Mbed TLS 2.12.0. Fixes #1954.
* Fix a miscalculation of the maximum record expansion in
mbedtls_ssl_get_record_expansion() in case of ChachaPoly ciphersuites,
or CBC ciphersuites in (D)TLS versions 1.1 or higher. Fixes #1913, #1914.
* Fix undefined shifts with negative values in certificates parsing
(found by Catena cyber using oss-fuzz)
* Fix memory leak and free without initialization in pk_encrypt
and pk_decrypt example programs. Reported by Brace Stout. Fixes #1128.
* Remove redundant else statement. Raised by irwir. Fixes #1776.
* Copy headers preserving timestamps when doing a "make install".
Contributed by xueruini.
* Allow the forward declaration of public structs. Contributed by Dawid
Drozd. Fixes #1215 raised by randombit.
* Improve compatibility with some alternative CCM implementations by using
CCM test vectors from RAM.
* Add support for buffering of out-of-order handshake messages.
* Add warnings to the documentation of the HKDF module to reduce the risk
of misusing the mbedtls_hkdf_extract() and mbedtls_hkdf_expand()
functions. Fixes #1775. Reported by Brian J. Murray.
* Thu Aug 23 2018 email@example.com
- Update to version 2.12.0:
+ Fixed a vulnerability in the TLS ciphersuites based on use of CBC and SHA-384 in DTLS/TLS 1.0 to 1.2, that allowed an active network attacker to partially recover the plaintext of messages under certains conditions by exploiting timing side-channels.
+ Fixed a vulnerability in TLS ciphersuites based on CBC, in DTLS/TLS 1.0 to 1.2, that allowed a local attacker, with the ability to execute code on the local machine as well as to manipulate network packets, to partially recover the plaintext of messages under certain conditions by using a cache attack targetting an internal MD/SHA buffer.
+ Added a counter-measure against a vulnerability in TLS ciphersuites based on CBC, in DTLS/TLS 1.0 to 1.2, that allowed a local attacker with the ability to execute code on the local machine as well as manipulate network packets, to partially recover the plaintext of messages certain conditions (see previous entry) by using a cache attack targeting the SSL input record buffer.
+ Added new cryptographic primitives, the stream cipher Chacha20, one-time authenticator Poly1305 and AEAD construct Chacha20-Poly1305, as defined in RFC 7539. Contributed by Daniel King.
+ Added support for the CHACHA20-POLY1305 ciphersuites from RFC 7905.
+ Made the receive and transmit buffers independently configurable in size, for situations where the outgoing buffer can be fixed at a smaller size than the incoming buffer
+ Added support for the AES based key wrapping modes defined by NIST SP 800-38F algorithms KW and KWP and by RFC's 3394 and 5649.
+ Added platform support for the Haiku OS.
+ Fixed the key_app_writer example which was creating an invalid ASN.1 tag by writing an additional leading zero byte. Found by Aryeh R. #1257.
+ Fixed a C++ compilation error, caused by a variable named new. Found and fixed by Hirotaka Niisato. #1783.
+ Fixed the "no symbols" warning issued by ranlib when building on Mac OS X. Fix contributed by tabascoeye.
+ Clarified documentation for mbedtls_ssl_write() to include 0 as a valid return value. Found by @davidwu2000. #839.
+ Fixed a memory leak in mbedtls_x509_csr_parse(). Found and fixed by catenacyber, Philippe Antoine. #1623.
+ Added length checks to some TLS parsing functions. Found and fixed by Philippe Antoine from Catena cyber. #1663.
+ Remove unused headers included in x509.c. Found by Chris Hanson and fixed by Brendan Shanks. #992.
+ Fixed compilation error when MBEDTLS_ARC4_C is disabled and MBEDTLS_CIPHER_NULL_CIPHER is enabled. Found by TrinityTonic in #1719.
+ Fixed the inline assembly for the MPI multiply helper function for i386 and i386 with SSE2. Found by László Langó. #1550.
+ Fixed the namespacing in header files. Remove the mbedtls namespacing in the #include in the header files. #857.
+ Fixed a compiler warning of 'use before initialisation' in mbedtls_pk_parse_key(). Found by Martin Boye Petersen and fixed by Dawid Drozd.#1098.
+ Fixed decryption of zero length messages (which contain all padding) when a CBC based ciphersuite was used together with Encrypt-then-MAC.
+ Fixed the ssl_client2 example to send application data with 0-length content when the request_size argument is set to 0 as stated in the documentation. #1833.
+ Corrected the documentation for mbedtls_ssl_get_session(). This API has deep copy of the session, and the peer certificate is not lost. #926.
+ Fixed issues when building to the C99 standard, using -std=c99. Fixed by Nick Wilson.
+ Fails when receiving a TLS alert message with an invalid length, or invalid zero-length messages when using TLS 1.2. Contributed by Espressif Systems.
+ Changed the default behaviour of mbedtls_hkdf_extract() to return an error when calling with a NULL salt and non-zero salt length. Contributed by Brian J Murray
+ Change the shebang line in Perl scripts to look up perl in the PATH. Contributed by fbrosson.
+ Allow overriding the time on Windows via the platform-time abstraction. Fixed by Nick Wilson.
+ Use gmtime_r/gmtime_s for thread-safety. Fixed by Nick Wilson.
* Mon Jul 09 2018 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to version 2.11.0:
+ Added support for the XTS block cipher mode with AES (AES-XTS). Contributed by Aorimn in pull request #414.
+ Implemented the HMAC-based extract-and-expand key derivation function (HKDF) per RFC 5869. Contributed by Thomas Fossati.
+ For TLS servers, added support for offloading private key operations to an external cryptoprocessor. Private key operations can be asynchronous to allow non-blocking operation of the TLS server stack.
+ Added support for ARIA cipher (RFC 5794) and associated TLS ciphersuites (RFC 6209). ARIA is disabled by default. To enable, see MBEDTLS_ARIA_C in config.h.
+ Added support for the CCM* block cipher mode as defined in IEEE Std 802.15.4.
+ Added an additional block mode, OFB (Output Feedback) per NIST SP 800-38a, to the AES module and cipher abstraction module.
* API Changes
+ Mbed TLS 2.11.0 maintains source code compatibility with the last minor version, Mbed TLS 2.9.0, but extends the interface with additional capabilities. Mbed TLS 2.11.0 modifies the ABI and increases the SOVERSION.
+ Fixed the cert_write example to handle certificates signed with elliptic curves as well as RSA. Fixes #777 found by dbedev.
+ Fixed the redefinition of _WIN32_WINNT, to avoid overriding a definition used by user applications. Found and fixed by Fabio Alessandrelli.
+ Fixed compilation warnings with the IAR toolchain on 32-bit platforms. Reported by rahmanih in #683.
+ Fixed an issue with MicroBlaze support in bn_mul.h which was causing the build to fail. Found by zv-io. Fixes #1651.
+ Fixed braces in mbedtls_memory_buffer_alloc_status(). Found by sbranden in #552.
+ Added the macro MBEDTLS_X509_MAX_FILE_PATH_LEN that enables the user to configure the maximum length of a file path that can be buffered when calling mbedtls_x509_crt_parse_path(). Fixes #492.
+ Fixed redundant declaration of mbedtls_ssl_list_ciphersuites. Raised by TrinityTonic in #1359.
- Changes for version 2.9.0:
+ Fixed an issue in the X.509 module which could lead to a buffer overread during certificate validation. Additionally, the issue could also lead to unnecessary callback checks being made or to some validation checks to be omitted. The overread could be triggered remotely, while the other issues would require a non DER-compliant certificate to be correctly signed by a trusted CA, or a trusted CA with a non DER-compliant certificate. Found by luocm. Fixes #825.
+ Fixed the buffer length assertion in the ssl_parse_certificate_request() function which could lead to an arbitrary overread of the message buffer. The overreads could be caused by receiving a malformed algorithms section which was too short. In builds with debug output, this overread data was output with the debug data.
+ Fixed a client-side bug in the validation of the server's ciphersuite choice which could potentially lead to the client accepting a ciphersuite it didn't offer or a ciphersuite that could not be used with the TLS or DTLS version chosen by the server. This could lead to corruption of internal data structures for some configurations.
+ Added an option of MBEDTLS_AES_FEWER_TABLES, to dynamically compute smaller AES tables during runtime, thereby reducing the RAM/ROM footprint by ~6KiB. Suggested and contributed by jkivilin.
+ Added initial support for Curve448 (RFC 7748). So far only mbedtls_ecp_mul() and ECDH primitive functions (mbedtls_ecdh_gen_public(), mbedtls_ecdh_compute_shared()) are supported for now. Contributed by Nicholas Wilson.
* API Changes
+ Mbed TLS 2.9.0 maintains source code and binary compatibility with the last minor version, Mbed TLS 2.8.0, but extends the interface with additional capabilities.
+ Extended the API with the function of mbedtls_net_poll() to allow user applications to wait for a network context to become ready before reading or writing.
+ Added the function mbedtls_ssl_check_pending() to the public API to allow a check for whether more more data is pending to be processed in the internal message buffers. This function is necessary to determine the underlying transport when event-driven IO is used.
+ Fixed a spurious uninitialized variable warning in cmac.c. Fix independently contributed by Brian J Murray and David Brown.
+ Added missing dependencies in test suites that led to build failures in configurations that omit certain hashes or public-key algorithms. Fixes #1040.
+ Fixed a C89 incompatibility issue in benchmark.c. Contributed by Brendan Shanks. Fixes #1353.
+ Added missing dependencies for MBEDTLS_HAVE_TIME_DATE and MBEDTLS_VERSION_FEATURES in some test suites. Contributed by Deomid Ryabkov. Fixes #1299, #1475.
+ Fixed the Makefile build process for building shared libraries on Mac OS X. Fixed by mnacamura.
+ Fixed parsing of PKCS#8 encoded Elliptic Curve keys. Previously Mbed TLS was unable to parse keys which had only the optional parameters field of the ECPrivateKey structure. Found by Jethro Beekman, fixed in #1379.
+ Added an optimisation to return the plaintext data more quickly on unpadded CBC decryption, as stated in the mbedtls_cipher_update() documentation. Contributed by Andy Leiserson.
+ Fixed the overriding and ignoring of return values when parsing and writing to a file in the pk_sign program. Found by kevlut in #1142.
+ Added restrictions to the usage of the error code MBEDTLS_ERR_SSL_WANT_READ to situations where data needs to be fetched from the underlying transport in order to make progress. Previously, this error code was also occasionally returned when unexpected messages were being discarded, ignoring that further messages could potentially already be pending to be processed in the internal buffers; these cases led to deadlocks when event-driven I/O was used. Found and reported by Hubert Mis in #772.
+ Fixed buffer length assertions in the ssl_parse_certificate_request() function which led to a potential one byte overread of the message buffer.
+ Fixed invalid buffer sizes being passed to zlib during record compression and decompression.
+ Raised the soversion of libmbedcrypto to match the soversion of the maintained 2.7 branch. The soversion was increased in Mbed TLS version 2.7.1 to reflect breaking changes in that release, but the increment was missed in 2.8.0 and later releases outside of the 2.7 branch.
* Thu Jul 14 2016 email@example.com
- Update to version 1.3.17 (boo#988956):
+ Fix missing padding length check in
mbedtls_rsa_rsaes_pkcs1_v15_decrypt required by PKCS1 v2.2
+ Fix a potential integer underflow to buffer overread in
mbedtls_rsa_rsaes_oaep_decrypt. It is not triggerable
remotely in SSL/TLS.
+ Fix potential integer overflow to buffer overflow in
+ Fix bug in mbedtls_mpi_add_mpi() that caused wrong results
when the three arguments where the same (in-place doubling).
Found and fixed by Janos Follath. #309
+ Fix issue in Makefile that prevented building using armar.
+ Fix issue that caused a hang up when generating RSA keys of
+ Fix bug in mbedtls_rsa_rsaes_pkcs1_v15_encrypt that made
null pointer dereference possible.
+ Fix issue that caused a crash if invalid curves were passed
to mbedtls_ssl_conf_curves. #373
+ On ARM platforms, when compiling with -O0 with GCC, Clang or
armcc5, don't use the optimized assembly for bignum
multiplication. This removes the need to pass
- fomit-frame-pointer to avoid a build error with -O0.
+ Disabled SSLv3 in the default configuration.
+ Fix non-compliance server extension handling. Extensions for
SSLv3 are now ignored, as required by RFC6101.
* Sun Jan 10 2016 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to 1.3.16
* Fixes a potential double free when
mbedtls_asn1_store_named_data() fails to allocate memory. This
was only used for certificate generation and was not
triggerable remotely in SSL/TLS. boo#961290
* Disables by default MD5 handshake signatures in TLS 1.2 to
prevent the SLOTH (CVE-2015-7575) attack on TLS 1.2 server
authentication (other attacks from the SLOTH paper do not apply
to any version of mbed TLS or PolarSSL). boo#961284
* Fixes an over-restrictive length limit in GCM.
* Fixes a bug in certificate validation that caused valid chains
to be rejected when the first intermediate certificate has a
pathLenConstraint equal to zero.
* Removed potential leak in mbedtls_rsa_rsassa_pkcs1_v15_sign()
* Added config.h option POLARSSL_SSL_ENABLE_MD5_SIGNATURES to
control use of MD5-based signatures for TLS 1.2 handshake
(disabled by default).
* Wed Nov 18 2015 email@example.com
- Update to 1.3.15
* Fix potential double free if ssl_set_psk() is called more than once and
some allocation fails. Cannot be forced remotely. Found by Guido Vranken,
* Fix potential heap corruption on Windows when
x509_crt_parse_path() is passed a path longer than 2GB. Cannot be
triggered remotely. Found by Guido Vranken, Intelworks.
* Fix potential buffer overflow in some asn1_write_xxx() functions.
Cannot be triggered remotely unless you create X.509 certificates based
on untrusted input or write keys of untrusted origin. Found by Guido
* The X509 max_pathlen constraint was not enforced on intermediate
certificates. Found by Nicholas Wilson, fix and tests provided by
Janos Follath. #280 and #319
* Self-signed certificates were not excluded from pathlen counting,
resulting in some valid X.509 being incorrectly rejected. Found and fix
provided by Janos Follath. #319
* Fix bug causing some handshakes to fail due to some non-fatal alerts not
begin properly ignored. Found by mancha and Kasom Koht-arsa, #308
* Fix build error with configurations where ECDHE-PSK is the only key
exchange. Found and fix provided by Chris Hammond. #270
* Fix failures in MPI on Sparc(64) due to use of bad assembly code.
Found by Kurt Danielson. #292
* Fix typo in name of the extKeyUsage OID. Found by inestlerode, #314
* Fix bug in ASN.1 encoding of booleans that caused generated CA
certificates to be rejected by some applications, including OS X
Keychain. Found and fixed by Jonathan Leroy, Inikup.
* Fix "Destination buffer is too small" error in cert_write program.
Found and fixed by Jonathan Leroy, Inikup.
* Thu Oct 08 2015 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to 1.3.14
* Added fix for CVE-2015-5291 (boo#949380) to prevent heap corruption due to buffer
overflow of the hostname or session ticket. Found by Guido Vranken,
* Fix stack buffer overflow in pkcs12 decryption (used by
mbedtls_pk_parse_key(file)() when the password is > 129 bytes. Found by
Guido Vranken, Intelworks. Not triggerable remotely.
* Fix potential buffer overflow in mbedtls_mpi_read_string().
Found by Guido Vranken, Intelworks. Not exploitable remotely in the context
of TLS, but might be in other uses. On 32 bit machines, requires reading a
string of close to or larger than 1GB to exploit; on 64 bit machines, would
require reading a string of close to or larger than 2^62 bytes.
* Fix potential random memory allocation in mbedtls_pem_read_buffer()
on crafted PEM input data. Found and fix provided by Guido Vranken,
Intelworks. Not triggerable remotely in TLS. Triggerable remotely if you
accept PEM data from an untrusted source.
* Fix potential double-free if ssl_set_psk() is called repeatedly on
the same ssl_context object and some memory allocations fail. Found by
Guido Vranken, Intelworks. Can not be forced remotely.
* Fix possible heap buffer overflow in base64_encode() when the input
buffer is 512MB or larger on 32-bit platforms. Found by Guido Vranken,
Intelworks. Found by Guido Vranken. Not trigerrable remotely in TLS.
* Fix potential heap buffer overflow in servers that perform client
authentication against a crafted CA cert. Cannot be triggered remotely
unless you allow third parties to pick trust CAs for client auth. Found by
Guido Vranken, Intelworks.
* Fix compile error in net.c with musl libc. Found and patch provided by
* Fix macroization of 'inline' keywork when building as C++. (#279)
* Added checking of hostname length in ssl_set_hostname() to ensure domain
names are compliant with RFC 1035.
- Changes for 1.3.13
* Fix possible client-side NULL pointer dereference (read) when the client
tries to continue the handshake after it failed (a misuse of the API).
(Found and patch provided by Fabian Foerg, Gotham Digital Science using afl-fuzz.)
* Add countermeasure against Lenstra's RSA-CRT attack for PKCS#1 v1.5
signatures. (Found by Florian Weimer, Red Hat.)
* Setting SSL_MIN_DHM_BYTES in config.h had no effect (overriden in ssl.h)
(found by Fabio Solari) (#256)
* Fix bug in mbedtls_rsa_public() and mbedtls_rsa_private() that could
result trying to unlock an unlocked mutex on invalid input (found by
Fredrik Axelsson) (#257)
* Fix -Wshadow warnings (found by hnrkp) (#240)
* Fix unused function warning when using MBEDTLS_MDx_ALT or
MBEDTLS_SHAxxx_ALT (found by Henrik) (#239)
* Fix memory corruption in pkey programs (found by yankuncheng) (#210)
* Fix memory corruption on client with overlong PSK identity, around
SSL_MAX_CONTENT_LEN or higher - not triggerrable remotely (found by
Aleksandrs Saveljevs) (#238)
* Fix off-by-one error in parsing Supported Point Format extension that
caused some handshakes to fail.
* When verifying a certificate chain, if an intermediate certificate is
trusted, no later cert is checked. (suggested by hannes-landeholm)
- Changes for 1.3.12
* Increase the minimum size of Diffie-Hellman parameters accepted by the
client to 1024 bits, to protect against Logjam attack.
* Increase the size of default Diffie-Hellman parameters on the server to
2048 bits. This can be changed with ssl_set_dh_params().
* Fix thread-safety issue in SSL debug module (found by Edwin van Vliet).
* Some example programs were not built using make, not included in Visual
Studio projects (found by Kristian Bendiksen).
* Fix build error with CMake and pre-4.5 versions of GCC (found by Hugo
* Fix missing -static-ligcc when building shared libraries for Windows with
* Fix compile error with armcc5 --gnu.
* Add SSL_MIN_DHM_BYTES configuration parameter in config.h to choose the
minimum size of Diffie-Hellman parameters accepted by the client.
* The PEM parser now accepts a trailing space at end of lines (#226).
* Wed Jul 29 2015 email@example.com
- Add baselibs.conf: build libmbedtls9-32bit, as needed by
* Mon Jun 15 2015 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to 1.3.11:
* Remove bias in mpi_gen_prime (contributed by Pascal Junod).
* Remove potential sources of timing variations (some contributed by Pascal
* Options POLARSSL_HAVE_INT8 and POLARSSL_HAVE_INT16 are deprecated.
* Enabling POLARSSL_NET_C without POLARSSL_HAVE_IPV6 is deprecated.
* compat-1.2.h and openssl.h are deprecated.
* ssl_set_own_cert() no longer calls pk_check_pair() since the performance
impact was bad for some users (this was introduced in 1.3.10).
* Move from SHA-1 to SHA-256 in example programs using signatures (suggested
by Thorsten Mühlfelder).
* Remove dependency on sscanf() in X.509 parsing modules.
* Fix compile errors with PLATFORM_NO_STD_FUNCTIONS.
* Fix bug in entropy.c when THREADING_C is also enabled that caused
entropy_free() to crash (thanks to Rafa? Przywara).
* Fix memory leak when gcm_setkey() and ccm_setkey() are used more than once
on the same context.
* Fix bug in ssl_mail_client when password is longer that username (found by
* Fix undefined behaviour (memcmp( NULL, NULL, 0 );) in X.509 modules
(detected by Clang's 3.6 UBSan).
* mpi_size() and mpi_msb() would segfault when called on an mpi that is
initialized but not set (found by pravic).
* Fix detection of support for getrandom() on Linux (reported by syzzer) by
doing it at runtime (using uname) rather that compile time.
* Fix handling of symlinks by "make install" (found by Gaël PORTAY).
* Fix potential NULL pointer dereference (not trigerrable remotely) when
ssl_write() is called before the handshake is finished (introduced in
1.3.10) (first reported by Martin Blumenstingl).
* Fix bug in pk_parse_key() that caused some valid private EC keys to be
* Fix bug in Via Padlock support (found by Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos).
* Fix thread safety bug in RSA operations (found by Fredrik Axelsson).
* Fix hardclock() (only used in the benchmarking program) with some versions
of mingw64 (found by kxjhlele).
* Fix potential unintended sign extension in asn1_get_len() on 64-bit
* Fix potential memory leak in ssl_set_psk() (found by Mansour Moufid).
* Fix compile error when POLARSSL_SSL_DISABLE_RENEGOTATION and
POLARSSL_SSL_SSESSION_TICKETS where both enabled in config.h (introduced in
* Add missing extern "C" guard in aesni.h (reported by amir zamani).
* Add missing dependency on SHA-256 in some x509 programs (reported by
* Fix bug related to ssl_set_curves(): the client didn't check that the curve
picked by the server was actually allowed.
- Drop getrandom-syscall-fallback.patch: fixed upstream.
* Wed Apr 01 2015 email@example.com
- getrandom-syscall-fallback.patch: Fall back to /dev/urandom if getrandom
syscall is not implemented.
* Fri Mar 27 2015 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update package categories
* Wed Mar 18 2015 email@example.com
- Create symlink to ensure compatibility with polarssl
* Mon Mar 16 2015 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update provides/obsoletes
* Sun Mar 15 2015 email@example.com
- Fix sed for includes
* Sun Mar 15 2015 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rename to mbedtls
- Use cmake macro for building
- Update to 1.3.10
* NULL pointer dereference in the buffer-based allocator when the buffer is
full and polarssl_free() is called (found by Mark Hasemeyer)
(only possible if POLARSSL_MEMORY_BUFFER_ALLOC_C is enabled, which it is
not by default).
* Fix remotely-triggerable uninitialised pointer dereference caused by
crafted X.509 certificate (TLS server is not affected if it doesn't ask for a
client certificate) (found using Codenomicon Defensics).
* Fix remotely-triggerable memory leak caused by crafted X.509 certificates
(TLS server is not affected if it doesn't ask for a client certificate)
(found using Codenomicon Defensics).
* Fix potential stack overflow while parsing crafted X.509 certificates
(TLS server is not affected if it doesn't ask for a client certificate)
(found using Codenomicon Defensics).
* Fix timing difference that could theoretically lead to a
Bleichenbacher-style attack in the RSA and RSA-PSK key exchanges
(reported by Sebastian Schinzel).
* Add support for FALLBACK_SCSV (draft-ietf-tls-downgrade-scsv).
* Add support for Extended Master Secret (draft-ietf-tls-session-hash).
* Add support for Encrypt-then-MAC (RFC 7366).
* Add function pk_check_pair() to test if public and private keys match.
* Add x509_crl_parse_der().
* Add compile-time option POLARSSL_X509_MAX_INTERMEDIATE_CA to limit the
length of an X.509 verification chain.
* Support for renegotiation can now be disabled at compile-time
* Support for 1/n-1 record splitting, a countermeasure against BEAST.
* Certificate selection based on signature hash, prefering SHA-1 over SHA-2
for pre-1.2 clients when multiple certificates are available.
* Add support for getrandom() syscall on recent Linux kernels with Glibc or
a compatible enough libc (eg uClibc).
* Add ssl_set_arc4_support() to make it easier to disable RC4 at runtime
while using the default ciphersuite list.
* Added new error codes and debug messages about selection of
* Tue Jan 20 2015 email@example.com
- Add polarssl-CVE-2015-1182.patch: Remote attack using crafted certificates:
fix boo#913903, CVE-2015-1182.
* Mon Nov 03 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to 1.3.9, detailed changes available in ChangeLog file:
* Lowest common hash was selected from signature_algorithms extension in
TLS 1.2: fix boo#903672, CVE-2014-8627.
* Remotely-triggerable memory leak when parsing some X.509 certificates,
* Remotely-triggerable memory leak when parsing crafted ClientHello,
* Ciphersuites using SHA-256 or SHA-384 now require TLS 1.x.
* Ciphersuites using RSA-PSK key exchange now require TLS 1.x.
* POLARSSL_MPI_MAX_SIZE now defaults to 1024 in order to allow 8192 bits RSA
* X.509 certificates with more than one AttributeTypeAndValue per
RelativeDistinguishedName are not accepted any more.
- Build with POLARSSL_THREADING_PTHREAD: fix boo#903671.
* Fri Aug 15 2014 email@example.com
- Update to 1.3.8, detailed changes available in ChangeLog file:
* Fix length checking for AEAD ciphersuites (found by Codenomicon).
It was possible to crash the server (and client) using crafted messages
when a GCM suite was chosen.
* Add CCM module and cipher mode to Cipher Layer
* Support for CCM and CCM_8 ciphersuites
* Support for parsing and verifying RSASSA-PSS signatures in the X.509
modules (certificates, CRLs and CSRs).
* Blowfish in the cipher layer now supports variable length keys.
* Add example config.h for PSK with CCM, optimized for low RAM usage.
* Optimize for RAM usage in example config.h for NSA Suite B profile.
* Add POLARSSL_REMOVE_ARC4_CIPHERSUITES to allow removing RC4 ciphersuites
from the default list (inactive by default).
* Add server-side enforcement of sent renegotiation requests
* Add SSL_CIPHERSUITES config.h flag to allow specifying a list of
ciphersuites to use and save some memory if the list is small.
* Sat Mar 29 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to 1.3.5, detailed changes available in ChangeLog file:
* Elliptic Curve Cryptography module added
* Elliptic Curve Diffie Hellman module added
* Ephemeral Elliptic Curve Diffie Hellman support for SSL/TLS
* Ephemeral Elliptic Curve Digital Signature Algorithm support for SSL/TLS
* Ability to specify allowed ciphersuites based on the protocol version.
* PSK and DHE-PSK based ciphersuites added
* Memory allocation abstraction layer added
* Buffer-based memory allocator added (no malloc() / free() / HEAP usage)
* Threading abstraction layer added (dummy / pthread / alternate)
* Public Key abstraction layer added
* Parsing Elliptic Curve keys
* Parsing Elliptic Curve certificates
* Support for max_fragment_length extension (RFC 6066)
* Support for truncated_hmac extension (RFC 6066)
* Support for zeros-and-length (ANSI X.923) padding, one-and-zeros
(ISO/IEC 7816-4) padding and zero padding in the cipher layer
* Support for session tickets (RFC 5077)
* Certificate Request (CSR) generation with extensions (key_usage,
* X509 Certificate writing with extensions (basic_constraints,
* Optional blinding for RSA, DHM and EC
* Support for multiple active certificate / key pairs in SSL servers for
the same host (Not to be confused with SNI!)
* Wed May 15 2013 email@example.com
- Update to 1.2.7:
* Ability to specify allowed ciphersuites based on the protocol
* Default Blowfish keysize is now 128-bits
* Test suites made smaller to accommodate Raspberry Pi
* Fix for MPI assembly for ARM
* GCM adapted to support sizes > 2^29
* Sat Mar 16 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to 1.2.6:
* Fixed memory leak in ssl_free() and ssl_reset()
* Corrected GCM counter incrementation to use only 32-bits
instead of 128-bits
* Fixed net_bind() for specified IP addresses on little endian
* Fixed assembly code for ARM (Thumb and regular)
* Detailed information available in ChangeLog file.
* Fri Mar 08 2013 email@example.com
- Update to 1.2.5
* Sun Jan 29 2012 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Remove redundant tags/sections per specfile guideline suggestions