* Tue Jan 19 2021 Dirk Müller <email@example.com>
- update to 1.22:
* Lzip now reports an error if a file name is empty (lzip -t "").
* Option '-o, --output' now behaves like '-c, --stdout', but
sending the output unconditionally to a file instead of to
* Lzip now does not even open the output file if the input file
is a terminal.
* Lzip can now be built, tested, and installed on systems
lacking a 'make' program. (Feature suggested by Mohammad
* The words 'decompressed' and 'compressed' have been replaced
with the shorter 'out' and 'in' in the verbose output when
decompressing or testing.
* Option '--list' now reports corruption or truncation of the
last header in a multimenber file specifically instead of
showing the generic message "Last member in input file is
truncated or corrupt."
* The commands needed to extract files from a tar.lz archive
have been documented in the manual, in the output of '--help',
and in the man page.
* Plzip and tarlz are mentioned in the manual as alternatives for
* Several fixes and improvements have been made to the manual.
* Sun Jan 13 2019 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to new upstream release 1.21
* Errors are now also checked when closing the input file
* The descritions in the man pages are improved
* Config script now accepts appending CXXFLAGS options
* Fri Dec 14 2018 Jan Engelhardt <email@example.com>
- Update to new upstream release 1.21~rc1
* Detection of forbidden combinations of characters in trailing
data has been improved.
* Sun Jun 05 2016 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to version 1.18:
* main.cc: Added new option '-a, --trailing-error'.
* Decompression time has been reduced by 2%.
* decoder.cc (verify_trailer): Removed test of final code.
* main.cc (main): Delete '--output' file if infd is a terminal.
* main.cc (main): Don't use stdin more than once.
* Removed decompression support for version 0 files.
* lzip.texi: Added chapter 'Trailing data'.
* configure: Avoid warning on some shells when testing for g++.
* Makefile.in: Detect the existence of install-info.
* testsuite/check.sh: A POSIX shell is required to run the tests.
* testsuite/check.sh: Don't check error messages.
* Thu Aug 06 2015 email@example.com
- Update to new upstream release 1.17
* The compression code has been reorganized to ease the porting of
the fast encoder to clzip and lzlib.
* The new chapter "Quality assurance" has been added to the manual.
* Wed Oct 01 2014 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Update to new upstream release 1.16
* Compression ratio of option -9 has been slightly increased.
* Compression time has been reduced by 4%.
* `lzip -0` is now comparable in compression speed and ratio to
`gzip -6` (gzip's default compression level).
* Copying of file dates, permissions, and ownership now behaves
like `cp -p`. (If the user ID or the group ID cannot be
duplicated, the file permission bits S_ISUID and S_ISGID are
* The license has been changed to GPL version 2 or later.
* Fri Oct 04 2013 email@example.com
- Update to new upstream release 1.15
* This release shows the progress of compression at verbosity
level 2 (-vv).
* The chapter "Stream format" and the appendix "Reference source
code" have been added to the manual.
* Mon Apr 01 2013 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 1.14:
* Multi-step trials have been implemented
* Compression ratio has been slightly increased
* Compression time has been reduced by 5%
* Decompression time has been reduced by 12%
* Tue Sep 04 2012 email@example.com
- license update: GPL-3.0+
Use SPDX format (http://www.spdx.org/licenses)
* Sun Mar 18 2012 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 1.13:
* lziprecover has been moved to its own package
* inability to change output file attributes has been downgraded from error
* compression time of option "-0" has been reduced by 2%
* a reorganization of the compression code has been made
* a small change has been made in the "--help" output and man page
* quote characters in messages have been changed as advised by GNU Coding
* Fri May 13 2011 email@example.com
- update to 1.12:
* the option "-F, --recompress", which forces recompression of files whose
name already has the ".lz" or ".tlz" suffix, has been added
* for large values of "--match-length", the compression ratio has been
slightly increased, and compression time has been reduced by up to 6%
* the compression time of the option "-0" has been reduced by 2%
* this release will print only one status line for each multi-member file
when only one "-v" is specified
* it will print up to 6 bytes of trailing garbage when "-vvvv" is specified
* it does not show the message "and `--stdout' was not specified" for file
types that can't be read (directories, etc)
* Mon Sep 27 2010 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 1.11:
* match length limit set by options -1 to -8 has been reduced to extend the
range of use towards gzip; lower numbers now compress less but faster
* also, a "-0" option as fast as "gzip -9" has been added
* the compression of option -9 has been slightly increased
* the "--merge" option, which tries to produce a correct file by merging the
good parts of two or more damaged copies, has been added to lziprecover:
for large files with small errors, the probability of producing a correct
file approaches 100 percent
* lziprecover is now able to repair any 1-byte error in the lzma stream of
damaged lzip files
* Sat Apr 10 2010 email@example.com
- update to 1.10:
* a file specified with the "-o" option is now created with write permission
for all if umask allows it, and it is deleted if lzip is interrupted by the
* the dictionary size for the options -2, -3, -4, and -8 has been changed to
improve linearity of compressed sizes
* Tue Jan 19 2010 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 1.9:
* Lzip now returns at least 1 if closing stdout fails
* lintian warnings in Debian about man pages have been fixed
* the "COPYING" file is no longer used as data for testing
* Fri Sep 04 2009 email@example.com
- update to 1.8:
* compression time has been reduced by 4%
- changes from 1.7:
* lzdiff and lzgrep have been renamed to zdiff and zgrep and moved to the new
package zutils (http://freshmeat.net/projects/zutils)
* compilation warnings on systems where uint32_t... != unsigned int have been
* Tue Jun 23 2009 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 1.6:
* decompression time has been reduced by 17%
* decompression support for the "Sync Flush marker" from lzlib has been added
* man pages for lzdiff, lzgrep, and lziprecover have been added to the
* memory use has been reduced to 9x if the input file is smaller than
dictionary size limit
* flush calls have been added to decompressor to allow partial recovery of
the uncompressed data when decompressing a corrupt file
* the dependence of "--test" on the existence of "/dev/null" has been removed
* some "bashisms" have been removed from lzdiff and lzgrep
* Wed Apr 15 2009 email@example.com
- update to 1.5
* Mon Dec 22 2008 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 1.3
* Tue Nov 18 2008 email@example.com
- update to 1.1:
* the short name of the option "--dictionary-size" has been changed to "-s"
* the short name of the option "--match-length" has been changed to "-m"
* some user messages have been improved
* Tue Oct 14 2008 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 1.0:
* small changes have been made to the documentation and user messages
* Wed Oct 01 2008 email@example.com
- update to 0.5:
* decompression speed has been improved by 1%
* Wed Sep 24 2008 firstname.lastname@example.org
- update to 0.4:
* this release regains the compression ratio of version 0.2 with a speed
that is a 5% faster
* a compilation problem on systems where "size_t" is different from
"unsigned int" has been fixed
* Mon Sep 15 2008 email@example.com
- new package